It’s time to celebrate the wonderful men in our lives – dads, grandpas, uncles, husbands, brothers and friends. This coming Sunday is Father’s Day and I’ve rounded up a few of my favourite manly items to make your gift giving a little bit healthier. Here is my top 5 list that will make your special dad glow on the inside and on the outside-
1. Herban Cowboy Cologne: There is just something so darn attractive about a great smelling man! I grew up breathing in the familiar scent of Old Spice on my grandpa and the sweet aromas of Hai Karate and Drakkar Noir on my dad. But studies done by the Environmental Working Group have identified over 500 synthetic ingredients in perfumes and colognes- and these hazardous chemicals have been linked to everything from allergic reactions to central nervous system damage. (Plus artificial fragrances have always made my husband sneeze out of control.) Luckily the good folks at Herban Cowboy have come up with a wonderful smelling all-natural cologne that is safe to use and lovely to inhale. It definitely ups the sexy factor!
2. Varidesk Standing Desk: “Can sitting for too long really kill you?” This was the title of an eye-catching article in a recent edition of Canadian Living Magazine. “According to Mark Tremblay, the director of the Healthy Active Living and Obesity (HALO) Research Group at the CHEO Research Institute in Ottawa, Canadian adults spend, on average, three-quarters of their waking hours each day sitting or reclining.” And all of this sitting is resulting in a wide variety of aches and pains, diabetes, heart disease and even death. So what is a viable solution? The incredible Varidesk is reasonably priced (around $300), can be set on top of your existing desk and “boosts circulation, improves posture, reduces risk of disease and improves overall health.”
3. Book – my dad is a real thinker and he instilled a genuine love of learning in both my sister and I. He brought us along to seminars given by Og Mandino and Zig Ziglar when were quite young and shared with us the principles of some of his favourite motivational teachers including Dale Carnegie and Bob Proctor. Even today, his bookshelves are overflowing with books about optimism, leadership and positivity. Why not hit up your local book store and find an inspiring read for your dad? Here are a few goodies that I’ve nabbed from my dad’s collection- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman and How To Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie.
4. Beer – ok so beer might not be the “healthiest” thing on the planet but if the men in your life are anything like the men in my life – then they like nothing better than to kick back with a cold brewski. And if your guy plans to indulge (in moderation of course) then you should treat them to a Mill Street Organic. This craft beer is proudly brewed in Canada and is “Ontario’s first certified organic lager….adhering to rules that guarantee both the raw materials and brewing process are pesticide and herbicide free.” Ahhhh….clean, crisp and refreshing!
5. Vegetable Plants or Seeds – there is something very satisfying about being able to live off of the land. Granted, most of us don’t have the property to sustain a full-blown vegetable garden but we can still treat our dads to the joy of growing his own food. A small planter will nicely fit a little herb collection, a larger pot is perfect for cherry tomatoes and even a small slice of property can house cucumber plants, strawberries, peas, carrots and lettuce. Hit up a local greenhouse for your dad’s favourites and get growing – the results will be delicious! (nice garden tools can also be a big hit)
And if none of these ideas fit your lifestyle or your budget – well then might I suggest 2 other options: the gift of time or a homemade gift. Maybe a family bike ride, a nice long walk or a simple card made with glitter and glue and lots of love.
Happy Father’s Day to all of the amazing men out there who dedicate themselves to nurturing their families and acting as role models to their children. And to my own dad – thank you for teaching me kindness, generousity, curiousity and an impressive repertoire of killer jokes. I love you!
6 thoughts on “5 Healthful Gift Ideas for Father’s Day”
Good morning, Lori, I love this blog! Nice message for Dad to read just before Fathers’ Day. Love, Mom
Sent from my iPhone
Great piece. I really enjoyed it. Wonder if herban cowboy makes a high karate equivalent. Cheers
Sent while mobile Mark Robertson President – Newtech/Vaportek Canada Canadian Key Accounts Manager – Benefect Cleaners, Sanitizers and Disinfectant Cell phone: 647-290-7878
What a wonderful tribute to your Dad. How fortunate you are to have been given the lesson of kindness, generosity, curiosity and humour! Cheers Connie
Thanks Connie! He’s a wonderful man and it’s nice to be able to appreciate him!
Now I know why Mark is such a lady’s man…he is a Herban Cowboy!!! Ha, cracked that code 🙂
Great ideas and you know, Sean loves a good beer 🙂
You got that right Julie! Herban Cowboy all the way (just like John Travolta but without the dance moves ; )